Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Accidents & Traffic Court


I was recently involved in an accident and have to shoulder the blame for it. I am not going to go into the traffic details here, what I want to comment on is the process subsequent to that accident because it has some lessons that should be shared.
  • My passport was confiscated – this was two days before my vacation travel was to start and I had to cancel my flights
  • If I hadn't been able to get my wife to deliver my passport from home to the police station, I would have remained at the police station!
  • It was difficult finding a timeline of when and how things would progress

The accident was at an intersection and was considered moderate~serious. As such the serious accidents’ unit arrived and took over from the Red and White patrol units. Then, as my car was drivable they told me to drive to the police station. I didn’t know where it was so had to follow a patrol car.  At the police station they impounded the car for a mandatory 15 days. There was a long period at the police station while they wrangled with the computer trying to write the report. It took at least four people in succession to get it done.  It was determined that the case would require a court appearance and therefore I needed to give them my passport. I offered a passport copy which I always carry, but it needed to be my original. I asked if my Second passport (I have two) would be okay, but again no, it had to be the one with my visa in it as it was designed to stop me from leaving the country. And leaving is precisely what I wanted to do, to go on vacation with my family. But the system is set to stop people from escaping justice so the vacation was immediately in jeopardy.
I called my wife and she delivered my passport. At that point they printed me a receipt for the passport, and explained to me that if I wished to leave the country on vacation I could substitute someone else’s passport. This is passport bail. However, since I was intending to be away for a month and all my friends were currently away anyway it was not really a realistic proposition.  Also there was no indication on when the case would be held. To add to the issue, Ramadan hours were about to start in a couple of days’ time which could alter the time taken. And it was unclear whether I would be required to be present in court. That is determined by the court.
I do not know exactly what would have happened if I hadn’t had my wife available to retrieve my passport. If you live alone, you might have to get someone to come and get a key from you and go and get it. I would like to find out if they would accompany someone to go and retrieve it… I would advise keeping your passport in an accessible place in your home so that you could give someone directions to retrieve it for you in an emergency.
I was free to go about 4 hours after the incident.  By that time I had received a txt message to say that my car was impounded. They returned my car registration and my driver’s license to me so that I was free to drive. The next day I got a local HR staff member to enquire if there were any alternatives to the passport deposit but that was negative. I was also unable to find out a timeline for when the court case might happen.  I was forced to cancel my flights, and we opted for my family to proceed on holiday without me.  Next I received a txt informing me that I had accumulated 8 Black Points from the accident, and urging me to drive safely.
After the week end I took my documents down to the insurance office only to find that the Arabic documents were not the ones needed and had to go back to the police to get a proper printout of the report. While there, I asked again about the timeline, and they pointed me to an adjacent building which housed the traffic court and told me to enquire there.  I got lost in that building a couple of times, and queued up in the wrong department twice but eventually found the registrar of the court who told me that the case was set for 3 weeks later. Then he helpfully mentioned that if that was not convenient that he could try to change it. I requested an earlier date and he got it changed to the beginning of the following week. However, he warned there could be a follow up appearance required. With the appropriate documents now I went back to the insurance office and gave them copies. Now they still need the final outcome from the court but they are able to open the file. Once the car is released from the pound they can get it delivered to the agency for repairs.   tbc...
Notes
  • Keep your passport available, know where it is and how someone can retrieve it.
  • Have air tickets you can change
  • Look at cancellation provisions in travel insurance, particularly for events occurring prior to travel
  • If you have a court case pending, go to the court to discuss the details with them pro-actively.


11 comments:

  1. I have had a similar experience. I was involved in an accident 3 weeks ago and have yet to hear about a court appearance. any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to here about that. Were you planning on going away during the end of year break? If they have got your passport then you will have to cancel plans/flights... You can try to visit the courts to find out if they have set a date. I doubt that it has changed, the traffic court is upstairs in the police building out the back of Muroor - between 21st and 23rd, down by Al Salaam st.(side street number 12) Good luck

      Delete
  2. How long does it take the court to finish? And if my car is impounded how can I take it out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long it takes the court to finish? this is the second week

    Is it mandatory to appear in the court? Because no body called me until now

    My car is impounded, how can I take it out? They impounded it for nothing, I don't know why, there is no touch happened :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The length they impound the car depends on the type of offence they have grabbed it for. I think 10~14 days is common. The courts could be delaying the case depending on their load but I think you have to proactive and go the Clerk of the Court to enquire about a court date.Some cases won't need you to be there but you are best to check with the clerk. If you don't ask first they may assign a date that is impossible for you for whatever reason. Also even though your car has been impounded for the time required you won't get it back until the case has cleared the court so you want to get that case sorted as soon as possible.

      Delete
  4. Hi ,

    I need a serious help on this matter , my truck was overturned in abudhabi and there were NO INJUIRY thanks to god to anyone , they have impounded by truck in baniyas yard and they have kept the driver in the jail for 7 days which will be completed by 12.02.2014 , so what is the next step how can i get my truck and get the case closed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi i have some issue , my truck overturned in abudhabi and my truck is impounded by abudhabi police (baniyas yard) and my driver is in jail since 7 days which will be completed by 12.02.2014, i would like to know wat is the next step for release of truck and driver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihal, sorry to hear about your situation. You need a lawyer rather than my limited experience. Definitely go to the courts and ask, they don't seem to be good at letting people know what is going to happen but the clerk at the court that I dealt with was pretty good at explaining what he saw as the steps and the time frame. However, since someone is in jail I think you need proper legal advice. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    I met one accident on 24 Nov 2015.the accident hapend because of my mistake , I was driving a ambulance with patient also i put the siren and light .once cross the red signal one car came fast and hit me by the time for two days they put me in jail and they took my passport and release me.my passport with police station till now I didn't get call from the court.kindly please give a solution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I am sorry to hear about your accident. If you were driving an ambulance I presume your hospital PRO should be trying to help you. Definitely contact the HR dept. I never got a call from the courts. I just went into the Abu Dhabi traffic court and talked to the clerk to find out the date. I was then able to get it brought forward slightly. If you are not working then it would be worth going in to talk to them and find out. I assume that you were in jail until someone could bring in your passport. It seems that that is a problem for people to get their passport delivered before they are allowed home. I was lucky that my wife could bring it straight in. I hope things work out okay for you. Unfortunately I know that from around world where emergency vehicles are involved in traffic accidents like yours the result is never easily determined. Good luck.

      Delete
  7. Hi.. can anyone here help me. Its my first time here..how much the penalty for driving a car withour papers. No registration card and insurance paper. All are expired and sad to say by that time met a minor accident... Thanks.. hope anyone can give me idea on the penalty. Thanks

    ReplyDelete